what twixsleepyhead does other than sleeping

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

HK 2007- PART 1: ON ARCHITECTURE AND INTERIORS

The first time I went to Hong Kong about 15 years ago, Chep Lap Kok International Airport does not exist yet. The second and third times, I went to Hong Kong by MTR from Shen Zhen. Finally, I was able to step on the gigantic airport by Norman Foster which I only used see in aerial view in my architectural board exam reviewers. Indeed it’s a huge busy airport. We have to go though several moving walks and take the MTR within the airport. There are planes on almost every bay of both known and obscure airlines.



You need to pass this bridge to get to the airport, unless you take the more expensive MRT airport express.




Although I already quit my career on being an architect, I still find buildings interesting. I can’t get rid of this urge of taking photos of famous and/or interesting buildings. There’s also a sentimental feeling in looking at buildings that I only used see in pictures, again for my board exams.



Hong Kong is so small that that they build everywhere. I saw a cemetery on slope, which is ok. What surprised me are the high-rise buildings on slope.




All apartments I’ve been to are more or less the same. They have tini-tiny rooms and tini-tiny toilets with y lavatories so tiny that when you wash your face, most of the water will spill out to the floor. The room we rented is quite interesting. Since there is not much space, glass walls divide the bedroom from the t&b in lieu of CHB + glazed wall tiles.




Call me weird if you want. It’s my first time to see a retractable canopy. I was standing on the sidewalk when I saw a lady adjusting the canopy outside her shop.




Architecture is not he only interesting part of HK. There are so much more to be said in my next few entries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home