what twixsleepyhead does other than sleeping

Saturday, September 16, 2006

FALSE ALARM

I thought blog can't be accessed here in China. It's here, in front of me!

It's easier to stay here than I expected. It's only my fifth day and I already feel so much at home in my place.

Here are some of my achievements related to communicating in Mandarin:

1. I was able to express my intense desire to the building admin people to get an internet connection asap.
2. We were able to buy a router and asked the computer store to program our router for our dsl connection.
3. I already know how to order our meals though I cannot read the menu. I would simply ask for their specialty.
4. I already know how to say McChicken, McNuggets and Fillet-o-fish in Mandarin. Thanks to Charol's electronic dictionary. It has some of McDonald's menu in it.
5. We already bought a washing machine!
6. I already discovered a spectacular pan fried dumpling and learned how to say it.
7. All installation and delivery guys make appointments before coming to our apartment. I had phonepals for 3 days! They kept on calling me to confirm and reconfirm appointments... and they all speak mandarin.

I also discoverd places I've never seen in my previous visit.
1. There's a park with a lake near my apartment. It's pretty by itself minus the lovers.
2. There's a gym and a yoga place above Rainbow Department Store. They are very clean and luxurious looking, much better than gyms in Manila.
3. Kim Sam Soon piggy is in every toy store, but expensive. the big one is about 1000php.

I haven't explored the area around the university. School starts next week. I have more places to discover.


See? I'll survive!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home