what twixsleepyhead does other than sleeping

Sunday, November 07, 2004

SHOE TALK

I just spent my whole month’s salary on 2 pairs of shoes.

It sounds insane, but it was really a worthy experience.

It all started when my dermatologist advised me to wear support stockings to prevent varicose veins. I never really took her seriously until my legs started aching for two weeks now… and today is the worst. I never wanted to wear open-toed stockings, so I decided to invest in comfy closed shoes. I cannot find comfortable shoes without fancy decorations forcedfully designed to please the jologs market. It was then I realized that simple shoes that does not follow any trend are hard to find, unless, of course, in expensive editions. That’s the reason why I splurged too much.

I was planning to buy only one pair of basic black shoes. When I woke up on a Saturday morning, I realized I wanna do something crazy, something I’ve never done before,… so that’s what I did, splurged on shoes like never before. It feels so liberating to be insane once in a while.
In the course of buying shoes from Naturalizer, I met this middle-aged saleslady. I was explaining to her why I need to buy new shoes. She seems to be fascinated about my health lecture on varicose veins caused by the nature of jobs that we have. For some reason, she started talking about her career as a saleslady, majoring in shoe retail. She worked in Rustan’s for 23 years, had an early retirement out of boredom in going to the same workplace for those long years, and then transferred to Naturalizer in Edsa Shang branch. She’s very happy with her kind of job since time passes by without her realizing it. Sometimes I wonder if how many of working crowd today really find satisfaction in their work. For me, this person is rare and it is a good opportunity to meet this one person. The shoes are really worth it.

2 Comments:

  • Ikaw lang talaga makakagawa niyan joyce ;)

    By Blogger RT, at 4:34 PM  

  • oh, this got me thinking... i just love those janilyn stilettos too much, veins are starting to pop out on my shins (also bec. of aging i suppose)he he. i figure magpa-sclerotherapy na lang ako later, but investing on naturalizer will be a better idea, i think. an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure as they say. mas mahal magpa-sclerotherapy later.

    By Blogger Yeppun Noona, at 9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home